Martial arts competition held in China's Henan

in F r e i s t i l 17.08.2018 04:50
von xuezhiqian123 • 2.588 Beiträge

Song AnDong poses after being selected 172nd overall by the New York Islanders during the 2015 NHL Draft at BB&T Center on June 27 Jordan 1 Wheat Pre Order , 2015 in Sunrise, Florida.
FOR the first time, a Chinese player has been selected in the NHL draft.

Song Andong was chosen by the New York Islanders with the No. 172 pick in the draft Saturday. The defenseman, who goes by the name "Misha," started playing hockey on a smaller-than-normal rink in Beijing when his mother was trying to find him a sport. Once his talent was spotted, his family moved to Canada and he quickly excelled when he began playing as a 10-year-old.

Now his pro rights belong to the Islanders, his selection broadcast live in China.

"Feels like I'm a star already," said Song, who was followed by a Chinese television crew Saturday. "But, long way to go."

The fact he's made it this far is something in itself.

When his family moved to Ontario and coaches there heard that a Chinese boy was trying out, there was plenty of skepticism. He proved himself at each level, and was an assistant captain this past season on the varsity at Lawrenceville School in New Jersey.

The 18-year-old Song, who plays on one of China's national teams, plans to attend Philips Andover Academy in Massachusetts this coming school year as a postgraduate student.

After that, he expects to play college hockey.

"I'm really honored to be the first Chinese player to be drafted," Song said. "It's been great so far."

He hasn't yet met Islanders owner and governor Charles B. Wang, who was born in Shanghai and moved to the U.S. with his family as a boy. Andong said he and his agent were aware of interest from the Islanders for some time, but didn't absolutely know for certain that he was getting picked until his name was called.

"Being the first Chinese player, it's a lot of pressure from people back home, but good pressure," Song said. "I hope that will motivate me to become a better player and hopefully I'll make them proud."

One of his earliest memories is watching the U.S. play against Russia at the Salt Lake City Olympics in 2002. China is trying to land the 2022 Winter Games, which is one of many reasons why the game seems to be growing there rapidly.

"When I started playing there weren't a lot of people playing there and not much support for the game," said Song, whose brother still plays in Beijing. "But last year when I went back, it'd been like eight years since I've seen Chinese hockey, it's just been tremendous how far they've grown. I'm sure they'll keep trying to catch up to North America and Europe and Russia, but there's still a little gap."

by David Musyoka

NAIROBI, Aug. 4 (Xinhua) -- Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta on Friday urged nationals to come out in large numbers and vote peacefully on Aug. 8, assuring that adequate steps have been put in place to ensure their safety.

Kenyatta, when interviewed by radio journalists in Nairobi, called on voters to ensure they exercise their democratic right by choosing their leaders, stressing the 2017 election will be determined by the turnout.

"We urge Kenyans to continue maintaining peace and co-exist peacefully. They should not fight because of politics," Kenyatta said, according to a statement released by his office.

The elections are planned for the President, members of the Senate, Parliament, governors for 47 county governments, members of the regional Parliaments and representatives of youth and women.

President Kenyatta expressed confidence that Kenyans will vote for Jubilee based on its outstanding development track record.

Next week's elections come amid far-reaching institutional reforms that have seen new officers take oath of office after an elaborate appointing procedure.

Observers say the 2007 and 2008 post election violence experience was a reminder of the significance of building strong institutions of governance.

Kenyatta said once given a second term, Jubilee will be able to complete the projects it has initiated that are at different stages of completion as well as start new ones that will continue to improve the livelihoods of citizens.

He pointed out that his administration's track record speaks for itself, saying the opposition's efforts to undermine progress have failed.

"We have laid the foundations for progress. We are seeking a second to complete the work we have started for the benefit of all Kenyans," Kenyatta said.

The Kenyan leader said Jubilee has also achieved milestones in its effort to unite Kenyans and spread development across the country in an all-inclusive way.

He said in the last four-and-a-half years, Jubilee has made a lot of progress in providing solutions to challenges facing Kenyans ranging from the land question where over 3.5 million title deeds have been issued to the creation of over 2.5 million quality jobs for the youth.

"We have now put in place an action plan that we intend to implement in our second term to create 6.5 million quality jobs for Kenyans in the next five years. That is why it is important for Kenyans to vote for Jubilee," Kenyatta said.

On previous marginalized regions, President Kenyatta said his government has made strides in opening up the areas that lagged behind in development by stepping up investment in key projects, offering services that are uplifting the lives of people in those regions.

First high speed railway in Inner Mongolia starts operation

Xiamen opens volunteer service stations to greet upcoming BRICS Summit

In pics: lotus flowers amid morning mist in E China

Heavy rain hits NE China causing waterlogging and traffic jam

Military parade held to mark PLA 90th birthday (Part I)

SWAT team members take part in drill

Acrobatic show staged in China's Xinjiang

Martial arts competition held in China's Henan

I. Cheap Tottenham Hotspur Jerseys Cheap AS Roma Jerseys Cheap AC Milan Jerseys Cheap Texans Jerseys Cheap Baltimore Ravens Jerseys Wholesale Panthers Jerseys Wholesale Packers Jerseys Wholesale Detroit Lions Jerseys Wholesale Cleveland Browns Jerseys Wholesale Jacksonville Jaguars Jerseys

nach oben springen

Aktion Deutsche Sprache, Hannover | Das Digitale Wörterbuch der deutschen Sprache des 20. Jh. | Deutsche Akademie für Sprache und Dichtung, Darmstadt | Deutsch-Netz.de, Lippstadt | Deutsche Sprachwelt, Erlangen | Die Seiten für Rechtschreibung | Forschungsgruppe Deutsche Sprache e.V., Aschaffenburg | Institut für Deutsche Sprache, Mannheim | Neue Fruchtbringende Gesellschaft zu Köthen/Anhalt e.V. | Sprachkreis Deutsch, Bern | Sprachpflege.info, Erlangen | Stiftung Deutsche Sprache e.V., Berlin | Verein Deutsche Sprache e.V., Dortmund | Verein für deutsche Rechtschreibung und Sprachpflege e.V., Schwaig bei Nürnberg | Woxikon | www.wortpatenschaft.de
Besucher:

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: Davidmal.
Forenstatistiken:
Das Deutsche Sprachforum hat 14323 Themen und 18738 Beiträge.

Heute war 1 Mitglied anwesend :
Davidmal

Xobor Forum Software von Xobor