too much, and I've got to ju

in F r e i s t i l 24.08.2018 04:55
von liny195 • 252 Beiträge

No Trenton Cannon Color Rush Jersey , Vance Joseph never felt as if he was drinking out of a firehose when the Denver Broncos stumbled through a 5-11 season in his first year as head coach last year.

That's how general manager John Elway has repeatedly described what it must have been like for a first-year head coach in the NFL.

"That's not my personality, so I didn't feel that way," Joseph told The Associated Press. "My focus was purely on trying to flip it and get us back on a winning path. I think being a young head coach and being a young coach is a different deal. I'm not a young coach. I've been a part of teams that have gone through adversity so I kind of knew what the issues were."

Turnovers.

A sieve of an offensive line.

Locker room rifts.

A lack of chemistry, the byproduct of another protracted quarterback competition.

Still, "I think overwhelmed, that's not the word," Joseph said.

Denver's dive, which included eight losses by double digits, was a shock to a city and a franchise that had a ticker-tape parade just two years earlier, and Elway acknowledged that he pondered firing Joseph at season's end.

"That's the direction I want to go, but it's my responsibility to think about other options to see what would be best for the football team," Elway said in January. "We thought about different options, but ultimately, my goal was to stick with Vance and give him that shot."

Elway, who had riled up his players by calling them soft during an eight-game skid, said he shared in the blame for Joseph's deficient debut and needed to surround him with better personnel.

Joseph replaced nearly half of his coaching staff while Elway embarked on a massive roster upgrade .

He signed quarterback Case Keenum in free agency and all 10 members of his ballyhooed 2018 draft class spent four years in college and most were captains. That's a far cry from the previous two classes that were loaded with raw athleticism Logan Morrison Minnesota Twins Jersey , long-term projects and plenty of question marks.

Joseph seems much more comfortable in his second season.

"I don't see it as a do-over. It's hard in this league. You don't get do-overs, unfortunately. But it's a new year and obviously last year wasn't good enough," Joseph said.

The hands-off philosophy Joseph brought to Denver last year has vanished.

"I think it's a fine line between micromanaging and coaching coaches. And I didn't want to ever be micromanaged as an assistant coach because in my mind I was doing the best I could for that head coach and the best I could for that football team. And I took great pride in coaching my guys and being the best group on the field every day in the meeting rooms or on the field," Joseph said.

"So, in my mind every coach would feel that way and every coach would want to coach that way. So, I was cautious in interrupting coaches' drills, interrupting coaches' ways of doing things because I had an experienced staff."

That led to the notion that Joseph was still acting like an assistant coach last year while offensive coordinator Mike McCoy continued operating as though he were still a head coach before getting fired at midseason.

Joseph vehemently denies that was the case.

"I thought Mike did a great job every week of accepting his role and we talked every week about the game plan, so that's not true," Joseph said.

"I worked for a lot of coaches who didn't micromanage me, Gary Kubiak, Marvin Lewis, great guys who have won a lot of games. So, that's not true. Our staff last year we discussed every game plan that we put forward and again it was the best thing for our players at the time.

"So, our thought process early on was to be an explosive offense. We were 3-1. It wasn't perfect. But it was working. Now, turning the ball over, not protecting the quarterback Youth Will Dissly Jersey , those things affected how we played on offense. But not Mike trying to be in total control, that's not true."

Still, Joseph said he has to coach his coaches better, and by that, he means challenging them.

"I don't coach the receivers, I don't coach the running backs or offensive line. I'm a defensive backs guy, I'm a defensive guy. So, I think asking the right questions and triggering more thought process on how we can do things better. Or simply seeing it differently than the coach and saying, 'Why don't we do it that way?'" Joseph said.

"Now, I can be wrong, but I think simply asking more questions is a simple way of helping the coaches get better and helping our football team get better and not letting anything slide."

Joseph realizes he won't get another chance if things don't change.

"Winning football games is a must this year," he said. "We have to do that. That's why they hired me."

And why Elway stuck with him.

Jimmy Graham isn't worried about developing chemistry with Aaron Rodgers. The Green Bay Packers new tight end knows how good his new quarterback is, and through the first three days of training camp, they've already made plenty of progress.

But when will Graham know that he and Rodgers have truly gotten on the same page?

"I'll be with the ball in the end zone," Graham said after Saturday's first in-pads practice of camp. "That's really when you know."

That hasn't happened yet in any of the 11-on-11 team periods of the first three practices, but the two have connected plenty of times during drills and expect to be on the same wavelength in time for the Sept. 9 regular-season opener against Chicago.

"We'll just keep plugging away. We'll just keep doing that each and every day Rashaan Evans Jersey Elite ," Graham said. "And come Week 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 . we'll be clicking, I'm pretty sure."

The Packers certainly need Graham, a five-time Pro Bowl tight end who came over from Seattle in free agency, to be a force. After cutting wide receiver Jordy Nelson during the offseason, they'll be counting on Graham to be a go-to presence in the red zone. Last year with the Seahawks, all 10 of his touchdown catches came from inside the opponent's 20-yard line.

Coach Mike McCarthy's offense is at its best when he has a big, athletic tight end in the mix, which is why the team has signed one three years running - Jared Cook in 2016, Martellus Bennett last year and Graham this time around. While the Bennett experiment backfired, Rodgers and Cook developed a strong connection during their one season together after Cook overcame early-season injury problems.

"We just need more reps," Rodgers said of his exposure to Graham. "He's a big target, he catches the ball with his hands. We haven't had a guy like that around here in a while. Obviously Jared did a lot of those things Authentic Brandon McCarthy Jersey , but Jimmy, he's got a great feel for coverages, getting open, he uses his body really well, runs good routes. And he's a matchup issue. We haven't had a consistent matchup issue guy like that for a long time.

"So we just need reps together. He needs to hear the language, he needs to hear some of the code words and the verbiage and the signals. I'm not worried about any chemistry issues with him."

Graham, who played with elite-level quarterbacks with the Saints (Drew Brees) and Seahawks (Russell Wilson), has been impressed with Rodgers' accuracy and his ability to put the ball in places that protect his receivers from dangerous hits. To Graham, having that type of trust already with Rodgers is a very encouraging sign.

"I know when leads me out there that I can just run right through it. I've got no worries in the world because I know he's the eyes in the back of my head," Graham said. "We'll just keep working on that. It's not him getting on my page, it's me getting on his page, you know? He's been in this league a long time, knows too much, and I've got to just catch up and just learn every day and make sure I'm supposed to be where I'm at so I can make that catch and make that big play."

nach oben springen

Aktion Deutsche Sprache, Hannover | Das Digitale Wörterbuch der deutschen Sprache des 20. Jh. | Deutsche Akademie für Sprache und Dichtung, Darmstadt | Deutsch-Netz.de, Lippstadt | Deutsche Sprachwelt, Erlangen | Die Seiten für Rechtschreibung | Forschungsgruppe Deutsche Sprache e.V., Aschaffenburg | Institut für Deutsche Sprache, Mannheim | Neue Fruchtbringende Gesellschaft zu Köthen/Anhalt e.V. | Sprachkreis Deutsch, Bern | Sprachpflege.info, Erlangen | Stiftung Deutsche Sprache e.V., Berlin | Verein Deutsche Sprache e.V., Dortmund | Verein für deutsche Rechtschreibung und Sprachpflege e.V., Schwaig bei Nürnberg | Woxikon | www.wortpatenschaft.de
Besucher:

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: MichaelHer.
Forenstatistiken:
Das Deutsche Sprachforum hat 14323 Themen und 18738 Beiträge.

Heute waren 9 Mitglieder anwesend:
Davidmal, goldengooseits, Hollycycle, Maureenexhal, MichaelHer, Roccobix, taputlonn, Tommyjow, WesleyNut

Xobor Forum Software von Xobor